I first saw the equine spectacular Cavalia in early 2005, in Scottsdale, Arizona. Talk about being floored! I’d seen a fair amount of equine theatrical performance, even ridden in some, but it was the best I’d ever seen. A trip that summer to Cavalia’s hometown of Montreal proved to be perfect timing, since we arrived on opening day, went to the show, AND snagged an invite to the afterparty!
Cavalia recently returned to the U.S. after an extended run in Europe (and, during my trip to Belgium & The Netherlands that year, I missed catching them in Brussels by about 2 weeks!); I was able to see the show again when it came to Chicago in summer 2009. There were some changes, but Cavalia still had many of the same catch-your-breath moments as the first time I saw it, as well as a few new ones.
How can you maximize exposure & excitement for your equine event?
Use a little creativity and planning in your media outreach!
I write for the Equine Chronicle (print and online), and for Cavalia’s Tampa run I wrote a series of articles for their Web site, plus organized some online contests. Lining up this kind of multi-faceted media promotion is typically a win-win for everyone, since it generates both exposure and excitement.
If you’ve got a special event coming up, how can you maximize your own exposure and excitement? Here are a few tips:
- Get the right people onboard – publicists, editors, event promoters, interview sources, and photographers are all crucial to getting the story, and getting it out there
- Write a series of articles for the ‘target audience’ media
- Organize contests (with prizes) and promote the articles using social media like Facebook and Twitter (remember to consider local laws & regs regarding contests)
- Include Internet-searchable keywords in your articles
With a little creativity and planning, you, too, can put together some good promotion for your upcoming event!
Here are my Cavalia articles for their 2010 Tampa run, on EquineChronicle.com – enjoy!
- Cavalia Opens In Tampa, And We Have Tickets!
- Equine Life Under Cavalia’s Big Top (& new ticket contest!)
- With Liberty For All – Cavalia’s Liberty Stars